The English Symphony Orchestra has been running children’s orchestra courses, attracting students from around the country, for over 20 years. Orchestral discipline is matched by improvisation and sheer fun with the primary aim of helping children develop musicianship, confidence and sociability.
The varied activities on each course include full and sectional orchestral rehearsals as well as singing, group improvisation, solo “masterclasses” and games and every course concludes with a wonderful short informal concert.
Highlights from the previous year include ESO Youth Orchestra’s first residential course in nearly 15 years when a 45-strong orchestra took on Tchaikovsky’s 5th Symphony under the baton of Kenneth Woods. Back in May we assembled 75 of our players from all 3 of our orchestras on stage at the Rogers Theatre, Malvern, for a special “Elgar for Everyone” Family Concert as part of the 2019 Elgar Festival. We will be repeating this event in May for the 2020 Festival.
PROGRAMME OF EVENTS
BEGINNERS AND INTERMEDIATE ORCHESTRAS
We are delighted to be returning to The Downs, Malvern for our long-running Beginners and Intermediate Orchestras during each half term. Dates for the 2019/20 school year are as follows:
- Beginners Orchestra (suitable for approx. Grade 1-3, age 5-13): Saturday 26th/Sunday 27th October
- Intermediate Orchestra (Grade 4-6, age 9-16):Saturday 2nd/Sunday 3rd November
- Beginners Orchestra Saturday 15th/Sunday 16th February
- Intermediate Orchestra Saturday 22nd/Sunday 23rd February
- Beginners Orchestra Saturday 23rd/Sunday 24th May
- Intermediate Orchestra MONDAY 25th/TUESDAY 26th May